diver.net

Gear Thoughts...

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Walt on August 23, 2006 at 12:07:53:

In Reply to: The karate wars posted by Elaine on August 22, 2006 at 22:12:36:

Ankle weights make a lot of sense for some divers, so to lump them with split fins, etc. does not take into consideration the improvement of trim through their use. Also, for some divers not blessed with lead weights for legs, they help displace weight otherwise worn on the back or hips. I don't believe a defense is needed.

As for locators, they can be a blessing when you become so immersed in a dive you lose your orientation. This happens to me probably 1 or 2 dives a year when I need to spy hop to find the boat that has must have mysteriously moved during my dive. I think - "wouldn't it be great if I had one of those gadgets?" Then I realize I'd rather have the $350 and focus on applying my navigation skills on the next dives. But if I had one, I'd just merrily go back to the boat and not have to surface (its even worse as we guys hate to ask for directions). Again, no defense needed if you have one.

As for split fins, frameless masks, spare airs, heads up masks, dry suits, etc., they ARE good for the economy. I'll stick with my hardpack, JetFins and wetsuit and not judge the consumer who has those other items as they indirectly benefit me anyway (and hope the other person doesn't look at all the aquaseal on my beach suit).

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to