diver.net

Re: Re: Re: North Coast Ab opener report

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by seahunt on April 08, 2008 at 08:44:10:

In Reply to: Re: Re: North Coast Ab opener report posted by gonphishing on April 07, 2008 at 21:06:00:

I dunno. The requirements for SoCal lobster diving and North Coast diving are pretty radically different. In
lobster hunting, the biggest challenge is the lobster. On the North Coast, the challenge is the sea and shore.
One of the most important things in lobster diving is covering large areas, following the terrain in the open
ocean where you often really have no idea where you are. Do that on the North Coast and you will be a statistic.
North Coast diving requires you judge the terrain before you go anywhere and dive within an defined area that you
know you can get bnack to shore from. The most serious danger on the North Coast is currents. On your average
lobster charter, you can wait for boat pickup if you get way out there. Even on a SoCal beach dive you can
usually ignore the currents. On the North Coast, you must constantly look for changing conditions. It's not
usually a problem in the South, though all sea farers must always watch the weather and water. Night diving for
lobster is great. North Coast night diving is mostly for novelty.
Really, it's two kinds of diving. Both are challenging and take more skill than most diving requires. They both
demand experience and instincts. They both are fantastically rewarding.
I guess you'll just have to settle for me. Assuming I can walk that Sunday, you'd better be there diving then.
Enjoy the diving, seahunt

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.