diver.net

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Chamber Day Dive

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ridendive on May 07, 2009 at 16:02:08:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Chamber Day Dive posted by Mike Meagher on May 07, 2009 at 14:55:27:

I never would question the boat captains and crew commitment to safety, or infer that a DCS hit was their fault. But we have a vital and viable treatment facility that is operating now in case the unfortunate should happen. I don't think that the day of the fundraiser to keep that operational is the day to make a stand IF that is what happened (and that is a big IF). I hate to say that because I'm not trying to promote any conspiracy theory here.

And I agree with you completely about the funding. Our risk, our benefit, the operating cost should be our burden. My point was not to put place the financial burden of the chamber on the boats, except that the event was already set up and WAS being supported by divers. Thats why we pay to dive on Chamber Day with the additional support of the boats donating their time and costs. We, the divers, also pay to attend the evening dinner, buy merchandise, raffle tickets etc. So we do bear much of the cost.

Now I understand that alternate dive day credits were offered to those that could not go out. I haven't talked with or read posts by anyone who was on a canceled boat, so I don't know for sure what the individual boats did. I hope the paid trip money was donated to the Chamber as planned and that everyone who didn't get to dive is satisfied with the arrangements (well, I know not everyone will be satisfied), and will continue to support the Chamber in this way until we find a better way.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to