diver.net

Learning to service your own equipment.

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mojostone on May 29, 2012 at 04:24:17:

I recently returned from a 6 week trek through Palawan, Philippines. My dive buddy and I decided to travel light and rent our gear. The price for scuba gear rentals is very cheap in the Philippines. This was a mistake. Every where we used the local scuba gear. It was just crap, unsafe and very uncomfortable. It was obvious. The gear had not been serviced in ages or not ever serviced.

It is a mistake. I will not repeat. Since I have been back in the USA. I put together a Hollis BP&W with a aluminum plate. That will fit into my carry on bag. I no longer put my dive gear in check in baggage. After American Airlines lost one of my 50 lb. bags for 3 days.

Since I plan to retire and move to the Philippines and since. I have yet to see a dive shop in the Philippines. That I would trust to service my scuba gear. I might have to do it myself.

Where is the best place to learn regulator and BC maintenance? Is there any schools in California? Does anyone else here. Service their own equipment and if so. Where and how did they learn? Thanks for any information.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to