It's

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by seahunt on November 15, 2000 at 22:17:36:

In Reply to: Re: What about the Matterhorn? posted by AADIVER on November 15, 2000 at 21:38:59:

It's a pinnacle on the same mountain range that includes Santa Barbara Island and the Osborn Banks. There is a great link on my site to a site about it called the Santa Monica Alps.
It rises up to about 120 feet sorta between Santa Barbara and Anacapa Islands, but the trick part is that it is just a skinny pinnacle until you get to a small flat spot at 150 feet.
I hadn't heard about it again until recently. About 15 years ago or so, I ran into some stories about visits made there by the Trueth ( I think Roy Howser was driving then, but not sure). After reading about the deaths and injuries there, pretty much on each visit, I decided I would likely never see it. It was too dangerous to be worth diving it just for fun.
Really, I have no objection to anyone diving there, but I am afraid that anyone that doesn't consider it dangerous, doesn't understand what they are getting into or know it's history.
Enjoy the diving, seahunt

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]