Re: Nitrox question - non O2 cleaned cylinders

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on August 06, 2001 at 16:42:26:

In Reply to: Re: Nitrox question - non O2 cleaned cylinders posted by AADIVER on August 06, 2001 at 16:27:40:

Frank,

As you know I think Rod is a GREAT source of information.. However there are so many things in life that *could* present a problem and I'm NOT discounting the issue.. I'm trying to address the notion that once something gets into dive shop legend it's nearly impossible to reverse the issue..

Given that I do it every weekend, given that if you read the latest edition of Rodales they are reporting that in Florida they are now offering self-serve Nitrox you'll see that the issue is over blown. I go to Florida about 6 times a year and many of the shops [ garages] in Florida provide for self-serve filling, much like the self-serve filling stations...

It seems to me that it is an uneducated beauractratic overreaction.. Take for example the single incident that happened to my friend in San Diego.. He was in his truck, he was using a titanium regulator and breathing a 80% mix in between open water instructional dives.. He dragged his reg. across the back of his grease infested truck and it resulted in a minor flare up.. He did in fact receive medical attention, but in typical beauracratic fashion the knee jerk reaction was to shut down EVERY dive shop from pumping 02 until the fire department examined EVERY dive shop...

Accidents happen, but that doesn't mean that the entire dive industry needs to shut down...

It's all about education and understanding of what the issue is...

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]