Re: DIR Demo: "adopt a DIR mindset and approach"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on September 21, 2001 at 11:17:45:

In Reply to: Re: DIR Demo: "adopt a DIR mindset and approach" posted by AADIVER on September 21, 2001 at 10:59:10:

Frank,

As you know, I do a wide variety of diving and I frequent many different environments and climates and what impresses me the most about the DIR approach is that I change nothing when I go from one environment to another. Absent thermal protection, my mindset and my gear is exactly the same when I dive a warm water, fresh water cave in Akumal or Florida, or whether I'm diving the Andrea Doria or Lake Superior or whether I'm diving Farnsworth Bank or Ship rock or the Moody or the Yukon...

It's this unique standardization that allows me to have a uniform configuration, a uniform approach and a single set of solutions should an emergency occur. I don't have one set up for one environment and a different set up for a different environment. Accordingly, if a problem ocurrs, which will result in limited time to resolve it, I don't have to remember what gear I have, what gear my buddy has and what is the requisite solution. All I simply do is react and rely on what we have trained on time and again..

We take a fair amount of ribbing because we are constantly *causing* problems during our routine dives, but one of the comforting factors that I feel is that when I dive with our team I'm confident that if a problem happens we'll solve it calmly, effectively and timely because we do it so often.. Ask Terry the last time he dove with me and didn't have something pulled on him ;-)

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]