At the risk of opening a can of worms...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bob3 on September 23, 2001 at 14:10:31:

In Reply to: Any opinions as to which is the best side exaust reg? n/t posted by Steve Clark on September 23, 2001 at 10:25:08:

I've been a Poseidon fan ever since they started selling them in the US back in the early '70's, when I finally switched over to a single hose reg from my trusty Snark III & Royal Aqua Master.
My prime consideration for sticking with a 2 hose as long as I did was the fact that they are darn near freeze proof.
The Poseidon Cyklon 300 had a spiffy antifreeze cap on the back that kept water out of the 1st stage, and they use the same system today. In fact, the service kit (consisting of 4 o-rings & a zip tie) for the 30+ year old 300 is the same as the 5000.
The Cyklon 5000 is todays equivalent, and the Jetstream is likewise a decent unit. Both the Cyklon & Jetstream are sturdy as all getout, and can be rebuilt in the field with little more than a stout thumbnail. Either will give you all the air you want, even at extreme depths.
Niether are considered "DIR" because you can't remove the exhaust covers underwater, with the exception of the AGA version of the Jetstream which can have the cover yanked u/w. The Cyklon has a narrow, large diameter exhaust diaphragm which is extremely difficult to get anything jammed in, even if burrowing through the mud.
Both the AGA version and the Jetstream now use standard 1st stage hose ends.
Parts for all tthe Poseidon products are readily available, and will become more so in the next months when Viking USA assumes the US distributorship.
The 1st stages on the regs are one of the best on the market. Abysmal decided to use Poseidon 1st stages in conjunction with a DSI 2nd stage to build their regulator, a thing of beauty that performs well down past the 1000' range.

Price is about $300 on the Poseidons if you can find somone discounting them.

I don't have any opinion on the Triton, having never tried one.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]