diver.net

IMHO - A few thoughts for the dive community to consider Continued...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by S Troy Bagwell on June 27, 2006 at 22:41:55:

Many on this board know me and know that I don't post or hang out on the boards much anymore. I've been out recovering from knee surgery and have recently been reading the goings on on some of the boards, and saw a thread that lead me to this thread initiated by MHK. (See the thread/commentary below between Max Bottomtime & MHK)

I began by looking at some of the reports on the Osbourne trip, which does sound like was a great trip that everyone enjoyed and returned safely from, with some nice pics. Then, as I read MHK's post attempting to intiate a discussion and get all of us to think about the diving we do and how far we may or may not push our training/skills or experience, I see that MHK attempted to initiate the discussion without name calling, flaming or whatever else you could call it. Rather, he made a well thought out commentary on the trip reports, the exemplary club that ran the trip and made a civil suggestion for people to consider. I did not see anywhere in there an agenda he was pushing other than getting us all to think about our diving and training.

I am surprised that there are still some people who will fight tooth and nail for their right to dive their personal way whether it is right or wrong, safe or not, but will not allow other people/divers to make their own decisions or develop their own opinions without pushing their own style of diving.

As I read many of the responses as it pertains to an individual diver's experience rather than training, I find it appropriate to repost MHK's analogy for us all to ponder again, because it is very applicable in this instance:

************Two guys walk into the local pub, they each sit next to each other and share 6 beers and 6 shots of their favorite liquor. They have equal amounts of fun and after a little while they both leave. One walks to his car and drives home, while the other anticipated the stupor and has a taxi waiting. They each had the same fun, they each enjoyed the same pub, but if the drunk driver happens to make it home without killing himself or anyone else, does that suggest the plan made any sense?? This despite the fact that it might not have been the first time he drove home drunk?? Just because he may do it alot, doesn't mean it's a smart or well thought out plan..**********

I can only hope that I can make it out to Osbourne on another upcoming trip and many other shallow and deep dives. The point of the discussion, which I did myself a long time ago, was to do some self analysis of the diving you do or plan to do, and look at whether your experience or training is proper to ensure the safest dive possible for you and your dive buddy.

Best Wishes,

S. Troy Bagwell
socaltroy@prodigy.net

Re: How carzy are those diver.net BBS guyz?
Reply #15 - Today at 21:32:40 [quote author=Max_Bottomtime link=1151259314/0#10 date=1151451134]Quote from MHK on Yesterday at 20:27:18:

The "new and improved, kindler, gentler MHK" may not call everyone morons and strokes any more, but you still take every chance to let everyone know that your way is best. You claim to never read that board any more, yet whenever anyone posts a dive report where they went below 130' you pounce. You claim to not care how anyone else dives. Prove it and leave them alone. You must have better things to do then constantly try to prove that everyone else is wrong.

Hey Max,

It occurs to me that your position is that those that choose to highlight, promote and/or post their diving escapades should be free of comment. Based on what I read, most post a trip report, then the fan club generally follows up the trip report with a bunch of congratulatory comments about how great the report is, how informative it was and how grateful they are that the poster took the time to write the report. In other words, they love the comments when they are favorable to the dive they just did, but yet they appear to reject any comments that somehow or another invade their "rights" to post the report. I'm well aware that you constantly post to many, many lists and as you should well know by now, when someone offers up something in a public forum it is therefore, by definition, open for comment. Many may very well read these trip reports posted by "experienced" divers and assume that because they are posted by "experienced" divers that the diving protocols highlighted in the report should therefore be emulated. Most every post I make is subject to comment, review, debate and yes criticism, most of which comes from the very people posting the reports.

My feeling is that if someone is offering to share dive experiences then they should also be willing to accept the comments that follow. Whether those comments are in the form of congratulations, or whether they are in the form of suggestions as to how to more safely and more efficently accomplish the same dives. If they aren't willing to withstand the scrutiny associated with a public forum then perhaps they should choose a different medium, such as perhaps a personal website. These forums are dialogistic in nature, not monologstic. If you post to a public forum you invite comment. If you want a one way dialogue then they have other options. You can't have it both ways..

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to