diver.net

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Chamber Day Dive

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ridendive on May 07, 2009 at 12:12:56:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Chamber Day Dive posted by jeff on May 07, 2009 at 10:30:03:

Until all the politics and bickering among the diveboats stops, the only ones who will pay the price are the divers of So. Cal. All the "this boat's better, your boat sucks" from us does not help. Most boats are well run, will get you there and back, and provide for a safe platform to dive from. Everything else are comforts or preferences that divers will never all agree on. Everyone can have an off day, even dive ops, so a single shared experience should not form your (many times rabid) opinion if you've never been on a dive with a particular op. Any boat not run well should shortly be faced with not having anyone dive their boat, and should (rightfully so) leave the industry. That is supply and demand. Competition should be good and raise everyones game. Which would you rather have, dive ops that are trying to win your business by offering you a better dive experience, or a whole fleet of mediocre operations? Good ops prosper, bad ops fail. This ain't the auto industry, no one is going to bail them out.

Bringing politics into an event like chamber day (if that is what happened, and I'm NOT saying it did), that benefits every one of us that dives, would be a shame. You have a whole year to sort that stuff out. If the chamber cannot operate because of lack of funds, and someone dies because they can't get treated, then that should be on the conscious of any captain that bailed. Now I know, it's not that severe. But who's interest would they have been looking out for, you as a diver, or their own? And if that is their attitude, do you really want to dive with them?

Kudos to all the boats and everyone that supported Chamber Day and Evening. It was a great day despite the drama. BTW, I did not hear a negative word about the boats that canceled on the boat I was on. Nor were any of the boats that canceled left off the acknowledgments at the dinner. They were recognized just as if they had gone out, so there was no smack talk as far as I know.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to