DIR on the Yukon

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kevin on October 01, 2001 at 09:54:47:

Saturday the California Wreck Divers hit the Yukon in San Diego, yes, we left it intact, well, for the most part. We all had a great time, and that the wreck is a heck of a lot of fun to dive. Great for training, great for fun, just a great wreck.

I decided to put some techniques I have been studying to the test, mostly what would I learned from DIR/GUE materials and websites and a recent DEMO by the John, Mike, Kendall and Terry. Here is what I thought:

I dove double 95's, so that I could truly follow the rule of thirds as I was diving deep into the wreck, and therefore a real overhead environment. I was also incurring a mild decompresion obligation. Usually I dive a large single on shyallow wrecks, and get back to the boat with 500 PSI, and with an overhead, this ain't the right way to do it. So the proper set of double cylinders is the way to go for overhead, no matter if its a metal or a deco obligation, or both.

I bungied my octo around my neck. I was even able to locate and breath off of it WITH NO HANDS, since its right below my mouth. Doesn't this blow away the "octopus secured somewhere in the golden triangle " strategy ?

I ditched my old favorite full face mack, and went with a standard reg and mask. The face mask is tough to use with gas switches, and there are other headaches too. Its just a matter of simplification.

I pulled my seven foot hose out of the dive locker, and will never go back to a short hose again. Being able to easily feed gas to my buddy inside the wreck with the long hose is the only way to go. It was also more comfortable to wear. The long hose is here to stay.

Did I mention I had a buddy ? Yep, even planned the dive in advance, and discussed emergency and abort scenarios. Its actually kinda nice diving with a buddy again.

After trying a back plate and wings, then diving on the Yukon with my Zeagle BC, I gonna buy a back plate. There's just no comparison between the two. The BC simply cannot hold a single tank ( or doubles ) as solidly and with less shifting that a BP.

Usually any depth to 100 I dive air. I smoked nitrox on the wreck, because its the best gas for that depth. Air is a little cheaper and easier, but my health/safety is the single most important thing when I dive. Best mix is the way to go.

I gave up my old beat up Mares fins for simple Scuba Pro Jets. They are hard and stiff and negative ( no more ankle weights ). I have very strong legs and these fins rock. Anyone wanna borrow a set and compare them to their split fins, bio fins, force fins, etc, let me know. You will swim faster with Jets on your SECOND set of laps that you will with your current fins on your FIRST set of laps.

Lots of other little things, but I think you all get the picture. Please do not form the opinion that these changes were made just for wreck diving, its all totally applicable to just regular old fashion sight seeing open water diving, or bug hunting or whatever.

Now I think alot of these methods/techniques/philosophies are common sense, but thats sort of the basis of DIR.

I plan on selling my AGA and Zeagle double bladder Tech BCD on Ebay this week.

Kevin

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]