Reply to John Walker's question re DIR

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by AADIVER on October 02, 2001 at 13:55:37:

John asked me in a previous post why I was "putting holes in the DIR system behind his back". Permit me to share my answer:

"John, my smart ass answer to your question about my apparent shifting position on DIR is, you can't hit a moving target ;-)
For "inconceivable feats" of diving DIR is absolutely mandatory, but that involves only a teeny, tiny few of the overall diving population. My non-shifting position is that I don't accept the all or nothing at all, holistic mandate of DIR for ALL diving scenarios, from calm shallow Caribbean waters to the deep, dark interior of the Andrea Doria & Wakulla caves. I consider DIR to be a set of tools, any one of which can be extracted from the whole and used for a particular type of diving. I accept and use the wing and bp rig and XL Jetfins. For my diving that's all the DIR gear I find necessary at the moment. And since I don't dive with a buddy, especially inside wrecks, who would I hand off the 5 foot hose to? Etc., etc., etc."

Let me hasten to add that this reply was not meant to demean or negate DIR in any way.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]