diver.net

Re: Re: Chamber Day Dive

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike Meagher on May 07, 2009 at 10:09:57:

In Reply to: Re: Chamber Day Dive posted by Terence Anderson on May 07, 2009 at 09:48:52:

Just my two cents..my opinion.. but what I think that what was "up" with many of the boats cancelling on Chamber day is this:

1.) Many of of the boats, run at very tight profit margins. Did you know that when they provide the boat for Chamber day, that is it the dive boat that is making a donation of their expenses?They do not get paid for the trip. THe high cost of the trip is a donation that comes out of their pocket.

2.) Given that, a day or two before any dive trip, they must make arrangement to have a crew, and also shop for and stock food for their customers. Provisioning the ship, when there is an "iffy" weather forcast....is a risk the boat owner is taking on.

3.) Weather forcasts are dynamic, and not perfect. Obviously.. several of the captains had the same opinion of the weather forecast. At some point in time sufficiently in advance, a decision must be made. To go or no go.

Taking into factor all of these considerations and more, ie. running a trip for free, the cost of provisioning, and the risk of being cancelled due to weather.. what would you do if it were your business?

In this case it seems the weather turned out better than expected. Hindsight is always 20-20 it seems. :)

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to