diver.net

Diver Conflict! What do you think is the right thing to have done?

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JN on October 05, 2007 at 08:55:56:

okay, I am curious to hear your various takes on this situation.

Last night I went diving with a new buddy to do a lobster dive on the breakwater. We rode on his dinghy to reach the site.

On the way back from the dive, there was a little gasoline spill and my buddy asked me to rinse the lobster bags off in the ocean and hand it to him. I did so and he set the bags next to him on the side of the dinghy rim.

We were moving through the water and a moment later I looked back and didn't see my bag. I asked him where it was and he realized it was gone. I could not believe he hadn't secured them at all and asked him to replace it and the fin that was inside. He asked how much it was and seemed to accept my request (not disputing it, that's for sure).

When we reached his boat, he apparently changed his mind. He handed me cash for the bag ($30), but said he would not replace the fin and that "**** happens" and that he was already doing too much by paying for the bag, and I should just suck it up and accept it as being an unfortunate thing. He said it was not his fault and that he himself had lost a light (which he was also the last person to touch and stow, yet he seemed to be implying that its loss was my fault, and we were therefore somehow even.)

i tried to explain that I felt he should have been careful and not put it on the edge but he was icy towards me and said he could now "see the sort of person I really was."
I was pretty stunned by this sudden shift, and left the boat with my stuff before I could get too mad and make everything worse..

I want to know: what do you guys think of the situation?

Was I wrong to ask of him (and expect him) to replace my property that he lost?
Is it my liability? Is it his? Or is it just a case of " **** happens"?

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to